About the SCA
Established in 2005, the SCA is a not-for-profit organization with a volunteer board of directors and is dedicated to providing a strong voice for arts and culture in Scugog Township and to promoting and growing the arts in all areas of the community. SCA members include individuals, businesses and organizations that participate in or support a vibrant local cultural scene, which includes theatre, music, dance, visual and graphic art, craft, literary arts, and arts education.
The Scugog Council for the Arts is a community arts council that is a voice and home for the arts in Scugog Township and surrounding area. The SCA envisions a community where all residents have the opportunity to fulfill their artistic and creative potential, and where the arts contribute to the quality of life, economic development and cultural tourism. The SCA will cultivate the creative potential of all citizens and assist in the development of a shared and authentic cultural identity. The SCA facilitates partnerships with all sectors of the community to achieve this.
The SCA believes that the arts are essential to the quality of life in Scugog and surrounding area, and takes a leadership role in integrating the arts with the community. The Council provides an artistic environment for the community, growth for its artists and services for the organization’s members. The Council will develop and implement long term organization sustainability and capacity to deliver its strategic goals.
- Contribute to the vibrancy and quality of life in the community
- Cultivate collaborative connections, communication, and utilize community resources
- Maximize opportunities for creative expression of all residents, and arts education
- Serve as a catalyst for community economic development through the arts
- Make a case for the importance of a unified voice for the arts though an agreed plan of action
- Commit to success through a strong professionally run organization
- Achieve financial sustainability
- Respect – we believe that all people should be treated with consideration and dignity.
- Caring: we are committed to an organization that is compassionate.
- Teamwork: we are committed to effective partnerships between volunteers and staff and will seek opportunities for partnerships with the community we serve.
- Integrity: we are committed to act in an ethical, open and honest manner.
- Accessibility: both physically and economically (affordable)
- Diversity: we are representative of the larger community as defined by ethnicity, socio-economic status and sexual orientation.
- Community Involvement: an approach to decision-making that includes consensus building, forums, surveys and round-tables.
- Community Pride in our area that is based on its heritage, its natural environment and its culture as expressed through the arts.
- Continuous Improvement and Lifelong Learning as leaders and advocates for the arts.
The plan has four strategic goals:
- Effectiveness: Increase SCA’s capacity, implement strategic goals, fulfill its leadership role, and achieve long term sustainability.
- Communicate the value and benefits of the arts to the community.
- Strengthen Partnerships with the community in Scugog and area.
- Create an environment that encourages and supports a thriving artistic community.